Question:
Mardi Gras?
cinnamon110
2006-02-07 07:15:02 UTC
Is it worth coming down to New Orleans this year for Mardi Gras?????
Six answers:
jgardn2002
2006-02-07 16:13:56 UTC
New Orleans is OPEN!

Everyone please come down and party with us for mardi gras. We need mardi gras to revitalize our economy. So if you want to help new orleans, just come down to have a good time, and spend some money in the process.

Some geographical facts:

1. Not all of new orleans is below sea level.

2. When new orleans was founded in 1718, the land was not below sea level. Due to development and centuries of subsidence, many parts of new orleans have ended up below sea level.

Check out this link:

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/new_orleans_1878.jpg

It's a map of New Orleans in 1878 - notice that the borders on the map closely approximate the borders of the dry areas of New Orleans after Katrina. In 1878, the only levees were on the river, and they have yet to fail. There was no protection from lake pontchartrain in 1878, yet the populated areas rarely had significant flooding. That's because populated areas in 1878 were at or above sea level.
MS.B.HAVEN
2006-02-09 01:32:07 UTC
Yes, I believe it would be worth going there for Mardi Gras. As a Katrina survivor I too would be going back to the place I truly call home and join in the celebrations and traditions that we have all known to love! I would like to thank everyone for their continued support and also would like to say that I will continue to "brush the haters off"!! They are not from New Orleans and therefore have no appreciation or idea of how it is to live in and love that city!
Cosmic I
2006-02-07 16:19:46 UTC
Yes, come down for Mardi Gras. Ignore the jerks who do not seem to realize that a good deal of the country is under sea level, or prone to tornadoes or earthquakes or draught, or wildfires. We are rebuilding and need a break from all the dust, mold, debris-filled streets, and daily aggravation, and so Mardi Gras will happen. No one will stop it. You will experience a genuine celebration of life, mourning for the dead, and acknowledgement that life indeed goes on. Come party with us.
Jimmy
2006-02-08 15:42:24 UTC
Yes, it would be worth your consideration and historically it might be great timing to revisit the city. As others have stated it would also show support of the city.

I have had reports that downtown is busy with loads of activities.

The cable networks focus on the worse.

I have been reading daily the schedules of events and they are published at http://www.nola.com

The citizens of Louisiana deserve our support.
sexyceeza
2006-02-09 14:43:46 UTC
yeah it is wordy cuz mardi gras is a tradition you feel me
Ga Girl
2006-02-08 17:15:22 UTC
Yes, it is. Or if you do not want to go there, try Mobile,AL.