Question:
is there still dammage in New Orlans?
ultimate_player_2008
2006-02-09 19:29:08 UTC
is there still dammage in New Orlans?
Nine answers:
2006-02-09 19:34:02 UTC
Yes, but not as much as before.
Bushwoman
2006-02-10 03:53:29 UTC
If you are from New Orleans then you know that New Orleans never leaves the soul. I think Roma and pagan_earthgirl answering trancedancenae's question "What can I expect if I move to N.O.?" are pretty accurate in their answers. I was born and raised in New Orleans and presently live in Mandeville. I have crossed Lake Pontchartrain many times since the hurricane. My sister still lives there a block from City Park. The French Quarter was not destroyed nor was the entire city totally destroyed. There are a quite a few neighborhoods intact. New Orleans has made a lot of progress since the hurricane but still has a long way to go. New Orleans is not covered with pollution. A great source for you to get updates and news on New Orleans via the web is to check out www.nola.com or pick up a Times-Picayune newspaper in your city. Jefferson Parish may be difficult to find a place to live. Try Laplace, Hammond, Mandeville, Covington, or other surrounding areas to the west of the city, if you don't mind a little commute. Jobs are plentiful. Mardi Gras is a go, but parade routes have been changed. The University of New Orleans has reopened. Really, check out nola.com; it's all there for you. Also, check out www.neworleanscitypark.com/ for information on City Park. Weddings at the Botanical Gardens are slated to return in March. Also check out the New Orleans Convention and Visitors Bureau at www.neworleanscvb.com. Plenty of helpful info there.
Roma
2006-02-11 07:08:45 UTC
Estimates are that over 200,000 homes were destroyed, with many more damaged. It will take many, many years before there is no more visible damage.

I think questions like this make people here in New Orleans realize that people in other parts of the world can't really imagine the scope of what has happened here. Maybe this will put the disaster in some perspective: the land area of New Orleans that flooded is larger than that of Manhattan.
Cosmic I
2006-02-10 19:24:41 UTC
Yes, most of the city looks like a bomb went off. There is no electricity in New Orleans East. Driving around at night is spooky. People are gutting their houses and reb uilding or putting up For Sale signs. Pot holes are a lot worse. The place is a mess, but it is still home!
patzky99
2006-02-10 03:34:38 UTC
A lot of things will never be the way they were before. Many neighborhoods are nothing but debris. Electricity is sporadic to homes. I'll see if I can find a link or 2...be back in a minute...

okay here, i read this one this morning, it gives a good idea of the problems new orleans residents are facing. a very tragic situation.

http://www.startribune.com/484/story/233970.html
nola_cajun
2006-02-10 04:52:38 UTC
yes.. still much damage to Cajun City.. the French Quarter is up and running though !.. Mardi Gras is up and running this year ! .. It Takes ALot MOre To Bring us down !
Malcolm uses Xbox 360 Avatar
2006-02-10 03:32:40 UTC
The hardest hit is still improving but there's collapsed house around somewhere.
Jujeaux
2006-02-10 03:37:56 UTC
there is more damage than not, you can check with, wdsu,wwl,or fox 8,wvue,wnol,all tv stations with plenty of links.
gsschulte
2006-02-10 03:33:34 UTC
yes the city was destroyed. there is much to be done.