Question:
Im going to Mardi Gras this year.should i look out for anything? and were can i find a cheap hotel to say at?
2006-01-26 10:19:39 UTC
Im going to Mardi Gras this year.should i look out for anything? and were can i find a cheap hotel to say at?
Seven answers:
Dana
2006-01-29 18:13:00 UTC
I agree about seeing Zulu, but I've got bad news for you about lodging.

I tried staying in New Orleans this weekend to visit my boyfriend. I ended up staying in Houma, almost an hour away from the quarter. Even then, no "brand name" hotel had any vacancies. I stayed at a place called the "Plantation Inn" and spend $80 per night. It was fairly nice and clean.

Good luck and have fun!
Jimmy
2006-01-26 18:23:21 UTC
If your going to Mardi Gras in New Orleans, be sure to make a reservation. Staying in the quarter would be fun.

There are also hotel's in the Garden District and you can take the trolley on St. Charles St.

Many of these Motel's can be seen on Yahoo Travel.

Do not forget there are large celebration for Mari Gras that are more true to form in cities such as Eunice, Ville Platte, Opelousas. They are about a 2.5 to 3 hour drive in the Cajun Country.

Another alternative are Hotels near the airport.

Have fun
2006-01-27 18:48:10 UTC
Try to find a motel in LaPlace or Kenner. Sometimes its best to call these hotels direct rather than going througth Priceline or whatever. Don't know how long you are staying but Metarie has lots of parades and things but to get the true Mardi Sprit be sure and be in The French Quarter for Fat Tuesday but please be careful It is wild

Be extra careful at night things. Be sure you see the Zulu Parade. For Fat Tuesday you must get there early to get a good place. If money not an option get a hotel with a Balony in the French Quarter. I know I'm a louse speller but you should get the drift. Oh yes be sure and get yourself a Costume and have fun.
jgardn2002
2006-02-01 12:56:46 UTC
Room availabilities are tight. You definitely want to splurge and get a room in the quarter, downtown, or in the warehouse district. There are also some hotels along St. Charles from Lee Circle to Louisiana Ave in uptown.

Don't waste your time getting a hotel in Kenner or LaPlace. Traffic sucks and those areas are far away, not to mention parking headaches.

Also, a correction for mrtopproducer above - it's streetcar, not trolley, and the streetcar is not running on St. Charles :(. The Canal St. streetcar is running, but just from the river to S. Claiborne Ave
neilmood
2006-01-26 10:25:13 UTC
Is Mardi Gras happening this year??? If it is ... look out for floods and stay in a hotel that hasn't been wiped out by Hurricane Katrina
Cosmic I
2006-01-31 08:24:37 UTC
There are no rooms available; FEMA people are living in them, or out of state workers. Your best bet is to find someone you know here and try to hook up with them. As for Mardi Gras, look out for pickpockets as usual.
sosickofred
2006-01-26 16:07:38 UTC
Good luck with the cheap hotel...I would really recommend splurging on this one and stay where the action is. You will want a room with a balcony so it will cost a couple hundred a night minimum. Well worth it though. Go to Priceline.